Monday, July 17, 2017

Happy Birthday, Patrick!


My son-in-law, Pat's, birthday was this past Saturday, July 15th, so I whipped up this quick birthday card for him.  I'm such a procrastinator, and wait until the last minute way too often, so I needed to make a card that wouldn't take me all day, but still had meaning & thought put into it.  I like getting inspiration from others, & while checking out Pinterest, I came across this card.



Perfect!  My daughter, Lauren, & son-in-law, Pat, live on a lake, they are nature people, and Pat is a surfer!  I have made a commitment to use my Cricut Explore more often, so since I didn't have a cat tail stamp, I went into the images section of Cricut's Design Space, and found a perfect image from the Wild Card cartridge called "Grass".  

I inked the background with Close To My Heart stamp pads using a Ranger mini blending tool, masking the moon with a circle shape cut out of Design Space before inking, and then using the attach, writing & weld features of Design Space for the sentiment & cutting the card.  I would have liked the sentiment to be a little lower on the card, but I had to guesstimate where the sentiment would land, since I had to ink the paper before loading it into my Explore.  I came pretty close! Practice makes perfect!  The grass was cut & attached separately.  Then I sprayed some water droplets to create more interest to the background, since the ink is water based, so reacts with water.  I stamped the birds from Penny Black's stamp set, Nature's Friends.  I love this stamp set, as it's so versatile, and I use it quite frequently.  As a finishing touch, after masking the grass & the moon, I flicked some dark blue watercolor splotches on the card, and inked the edges to ground the card on the white card base. Hope you enjoyed this quickie tutorial!





Patrick & Lauren
Ocean City, NJ
January 1, 2017
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment